You’re the vital ingredient – people count on you to add value to
any strategic or creative argument and find new opportunities to engage audiences to drive brand and business outcomes through the distribution of content.
As a content strategist you are central to the success for your client and a lynchpin of the team. You independently lead content strategy for “day to day” projects and briefs with some guidance. Creatives and suits look for you to help them ensure that content performs effectively across multiple touchpoints delivering on client objectives. Management knows you can be trusted to establish and substantiate a point of view. You learn to present to clients with authority, “front” meetings and take ownership of projects and their outcomes. You know the basics, collaborate with other strategy disciplines (data, brand, media). Other planners look to you for advice.
You are responsible for providing inspiration from grounded consumer insight that will give way to content ideas that accelerate brand success. You make content matter.
Your focus as a Content Strategist:
- Understands all aspects of content strategy, from research, analysis and strategic planning to the ongoing creation, optimisation, and governance of content that serves user needs and helps clients achieve their objectives.
- Leveraging your knowledge of (predominantly social) platforms and behaviors, be able to identify touchpoints that are most effective across the purchase journey and how those touchpoints can be used together to deliver on business objectives.
- Work with data analysts to inform and validate content strategies. Understand the impact of content efforts and measure, track and report on success metrics to enable continuous improvement
- Develop and build editorial calendars to define content plans across multiple touchpoints
- Work with internal and external stakeholders to develop content assets which align with content strategy
- Test and implement innovative and relevant methods of measuring content, campaigns and tools.
- Represent the agency’s strategic viewpoint of the value and importance of content with clients
The skills you learn and apply:
- Able to use and guide others through Ogilvy’s content process in order to create clear and actionable plans
- Recognize the role for different types of content / formats, together with their strategic impact
- Planning the distribution of content through paid, owned and earned media; with a strong understanding of the capabilities of paid media particularly in social channels
- Using cultural, behavioural and channel insights to inspire creative approaches to content that can cut through with a target audience
- Work collaboratively with creative and media teams to problem solve for clients.
- Use knowledge of SEO, Content Marketing, Social Media Marketing, E-mail Marketing and PPC Marketing.
- Familiarity with tools including Google Adwords and Keyword Planner, Google Analytics, Google Webmaster Tools, Google Search Console, WebTrends, DART, Atlas, Semrush and Buzzsumo.
- Working with data planners, able to plan CRM strategies using different triggers (e.g. lifestyle, timing, behavior) as well as applying different types of segmentation
- Able to help build test plans, can prioritise tests based on commercial impact, know how to apply learnings.
- Running client workshops in partnership with colleagues
- Writing presentations that establish a clear and persuasive POV
- Writing case studies and awards entries