A senior account manager should be an experienced, broadly capable project and
account manager who handles a wide range of assignments, projects and/or clients with a
high degree of success and independence. She/he has strong client relationships and is
considered a company leader. A senior account manager has demonstrated high-level
professional knowledge and skills. She/he is able to manage several large accounts
and/or a few smaller ones, with little top cover from her/his Practice Director, as well as
the staff assigned to the business. She/he should have strong project management,
budgeting, counselling, programming, people management and business development
skills with increased emphasis and demonstrated success in building business and
people. She/he has the confidence and support of client contacts and strong relationships
with the client organization. As a firm wide leader, a senior account manager
demonstrates the ability and wherewithal to deliver on our vision, performance
requirements and growth projections. A senior account manager has strong relationships
with and the confidence of the client.
A senior account manager meets all the responsibilities and expectations of an account
• Sets and manages client expectations.
• Develops and manages projects/programs, including implementation plans, evaluation
mechanisms, staffing plans, budgets and timelines.
• In managing account team ensures that work is delegated to the appropriate
experience levels within the team structure.
• Independently handles several accounts and/or major projects, directing much of the
day-to-day work with assistance from more junior and senior staff as appropriate.
• Is the client contact for the full account and ensures that agency points of contact grow
• Develops presentations for clients relative to project management/program status.
• Ensures that the team(s) is appropriately informed and involved in projects.
• Anticipates and leads in the resolution of emerging account problems.
• Provides proactive leadership to accounts, staff and clients
• Ensures profitability on the accounts
• Ensures that team can articulate and apply agency vision, goals, practice areas and
• Provides leadership in driving a positive work culture.
• Is a positive role model and mentor for others in the firm.
• Routinely displays strong people management and development skills.
• Is able to anticipate problems or issues and respond accordingly.
• Has depth and diversity of account experience that informs public relations counsel.
• Has full understanding of public relations and a consistent track record of achieving
public relations objectives.
• Understands business trends for industry segment/products, and applies it to the
clients as well as impact
• Responsible for overall development of programs based on team input.
• Directs development of range of materials developed by account team including client
memos, press releases, speeches, articles, brochures, presentation and collateral
• Efficiently and effectively plans and manages large-scale events.
• Develops and guides media relations strategy.
• Applies specialized industry expertise to client work.
• Has established a circle of industry editorial, investment community, professional
and/or third-party group contacts.
• Has strong presentation skills and demonstrated ability to play a leadership role in a
wide range of presentation settings.
• Anticipates and develops solutions to client needs and problems.
• Provides strong leadership in building effective, productive account teams.
• Develops accurate project budgets and monitors them effectively.
• Good understanding of our financial system and effective in managing client budgets.
• Oversees timely development and distribution of bills and activity reports.
• Follows-up with clients on collections and other financial and administrative details.
• Completes timesheets daily and otherwise acts in accordance with company policies
and procedures and ensures the same for the team.
• Contributes to forecasting/projections done by more senior managers.
• Meets billability targets and ensures the team does the same for their levels.
• Is gaining awareness and understanding of our contractual agreements and their
impact on agency procedures.
• Participates with senior managers in hiring, assessment and career development
• Identifies strengths and weaknesses of direct reports and team members, providing
day-to-day counselling on job performance and career development as appropriate.
• Manages timely performance appraisals for direct reports.
• Manages staff to maximize productivity and individual, team and financial
• Provides leadership in growing existing accounts.
• Identifies and pursues opportunities for developing new business within and across
company offices and practice areas.
• Provides leadership in developing and presenting new business programs for potential
and existing clients.
• Ensures that team contributes quality ideas and recommendations for new/expanded
programs and proposals.
• Delivers strong analyses, strategy and concepts to new program development.
• Presents and discusses firm capabilities, based on knowledge of cases, products and
services and ensures team understanding of this area.
Initiative and General Management
• Is familiar with, and supports achievement of, the company’s vision and exemplifies
the company’s values.
• Routinely contributes to agency growth and performance as project, team, group and
• Manages people in effective, productive manner that also develops their skills and
loyalty to the firm.
• Trains staff through regular redbags and develops people to maximum potential.
• Delegates effectively.
• Routinely develops and implements solutions when problems arise.
• Assists peers in problem solving.
• Leverages talents of colleagues in own problem solving.
• Routinely seeks and shares information with colleagues.
• Directs and facilitates others’ contributions to team, staff and client meetings.
• Displays work ethic and values of the firm in day-to-day behaviour.
• Routinely invests in building agency and client accounts and resources.
• Works with senior managers to identify and address supervisory training, leadership
and career development needs.
• Continually seeks new ways to learn and improve and contribute.
• Participates actively in team, staff and client meetings